Let It Go (Part 2)

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Chanel.

When I fell in love with the brand, it appeared constantly in my dreams and on my wish list. When I think of beauty and sophistication, I associate it with Chanel. On my list of financial goals, I allot resources to allow myself to purchase the Chanel bag of my choice.

I remember vividly how I began my love affair with designer bags. I needed/wanted new bags, one for the day and one for night. At the time, sellers were taking to Instagram to sell their products and I happened to come across one account which showcased my preferred items.

It started out as 2, then 3, then 4 bags. Before I knew it, I had splurged on a Louis Vuitton bag. 

When I first received the LV, I felt a mixture of pride, joy, guilt and shame. I felt proud knowing that I had worked hard to earn my keep and pay for the bag myself and I felt joy in my first purchase of a known luxury item. However, I also felt guilt for spending an exorbitant amount on an item I knew was more a liability than an asset; the shame came when I realised the same amount of money could feed an entire family for a couple of months.

I told myself that would be my first and last luxury item. For a while, I was content with my LV. 

Then I met Chanel. 

I haven't bought myself a Chanel bag. I don't intend to. You see, I learned the following things from my experience with the LV.
  • There is no real happiness in an expensive designer handbag or in any material item at all. The thrill comes from the anticipation and the wishing, but it is an empty goal which leaves no fulfilment once achieved. What remains is that nagging feeling of guilt and remorse. No matter how much I try to justify such expenses, I end up fooling myself.
  • With my finance background, I already knew that the smarter use of the money would have been to invest in assets that could generate profit over the short/medium/long term. Had I invested the same amount in insurance, stocks, bonds and/or mutual funds, I would have grown the quantity by now. A handbag simply disintegrates over time, adding no value to one's portfolio.
  • Deep in my heart, I also already knew while I could afford it, there are still millions who suffer from poverty and hunger, who hardly get by on a daily basis with what little resources that they have. I made the conscious choice to silence that voice reminding me that to whom much is given, much is expected. I'm trying to listen to that voice again now, which is telling me that I can do so much more good on this Earth.
I still dream of that Chanel handbag. But now, every time I come close to getting it for myself, I pause and remind myself that it's just a bag. Every time I find myself coveting material objects beyond my budget and needs, I try my best to pause, assess and remember the teachings of Buddha. It is much easier said than done and I struggle many times. However, I plod on and hope that with each passing day it gets easier to choose simplicity and humility.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Total Pageviews